How it works
GearSource.com® is an open marketplace and therefore the claims/returns and refunds policies may differ by Seller. While some Sellers may not offer a return policy, GearSource does require all Sellers to provide a minimum of 2 business days for Buyers to inspect their items on delivery, as part of the Terms & Conditions of listing on GearSource.com®.
- In cases where the Buyer arranges their own pick-up, the 2-day inspection clock starts once Buyer takes possession of the gear, unless alternate arrangements were agreed to by GearSource and the Seller.
All purchases made through GearSource.com® are backed by GearSource Buyer GEARantee. Purchases handled outside of the GearSource.com® Marketplace are not protected.
How do issues get resolved quickly?
- Communication… prompt, respectful and clear communication will generally lead to a quick and amicable resolution.
- If you’re unable to come to an agreement, the GearSource Conflict Resolution team will review the situation and mediate a settlement.
- As a Seller on GearSource.com you must be open to compromise and participate in our resolution efforts… as long as you work with our team and the Buyer, your account will remain in good standing.
As a Buyer
As a Buyer, it is your responsibility to inspect your delivery as soon as you receive the shipment. If a shipment does not arrive when expected, report to Claims and Customer Experience team no more than 10 days after the anticipated delivery date. A claim will need to be initiated with the carrier.
If there is any visible damage to the packaging, it is very important that you immediately document this by taking pictures of the damage and indicating any visible damage on the delivery paperwork before signing it. Since the issue maybe related to freight damage, it will be needed to file a claim.
All items must be returned to the Seller in the exact same condition as was shipped. Damage (not caused by shipping), modifications (including software or hardware), extended run times, missing parts, or any visible changes to the item may result in a reduced refund amount to the Buyer or in the refund being declined entirely.
Visible damaged packaging
- Indicate all damage information on the delivery slip.
- Take pictures or video of the packaging from all angles.
- Hold on to all packaging materials and the box/case it arrived in.
- Document that there is damage on the driver’s Delivery paperwork, before you sign for it — make sure to retain a copy of the paperwork.
- If damage was caused by the freight carrier, you will have to file a claim directly with the carrier and this documentation effort will be very helpful to you.
- Freight claims may take a bit longer to resolve.
Your GearSource Support team will assist you with this process, if needed.
The Inspection Process
- Once you have accepted delivery, you have 48 business hours to inspect each item.
- In the case of non-delivery, you have 10 days after the anticipated delivery date.
- Test the item(s) as if you were prepping for an event.
- Document any unexpected operational issues
- Take good pictures and/or video from all angles, showing the issue you are reporting
- Notify Claims/Customer Experience immediately to log the claim before your inspection period expire.
As a Seller
All sales completed through the GearSource platform qualify for the GearSource Buyer GEARantee.
The Buyer GEARantee provides GearSource Buyers with a 2-business day warranty/inspection period upon receipt of the item to allow the Buyer the time to properly inspect the items.
Further requirements are:
- A record of both payment and shipment must be available within the GearSource Payments platform, meaning the sale must be facilitated through GearSource.com and not outside the platform.
- The Buyer is required to report the issues to the Claims/Customer Experience team and/or the Seller within 2 business days of the shipment being delivered (or within 10 days of the anticipated delivery date in the case of non-delivery).
- The Seller must be responsive and reply to Claims/Customer Experience and/or the Buyer within 24 hours to avoid the situation escalating.
- If an item fails to function as advertised on the Seller’s GearSource.com listing, does not match the model, description or condition of the item listed or arrives with visible damage (unrelated to shipping), the Seller must:
- replace the item at no cost to the Buyer (including the replacement shipping);
- if the Buyer agrees, repair the item at Seller’s expense; or
- refund the Buyer for the full amount.
- If for any reason, Seller and Buyer are unable to reach an agreement, the GearSource Conflict Resolution team will mediate.
- The Team will review the sale and all communications in order to reach a fair resolution, in accordance with GearSource Terms and Conditions, policies and reasonable expectations.
- If a Buyer initiates a credit card dispute (chargeback) at any point during the transaction, the Seller is responsible for reimbursing GearSource for the full disputed amount plus fees. Any funds withheld from GearSource by the Buyer’s credit card provider, must be covered by the Seller’s Payments account or repaid to GearSource within 5 days of the dispute being filed.
- All funds will stay in the Seller’s GearSource Payments account until the claim is settled.
- Be aware that Chargebacks may take credit card providers up to 3 months to resolve.
- Sellers can help avoid chargebacks by being prompt and responsive to all inquiries, getting the order shipped as quickly as possible and responding to Buyer concerns with a willingness to resolve the situation fairly.
Every situation is different, however, solutions can be reached when there is a collective effort to be open-minded and fair, in order to come to a reasonable agreement. The quicker this is handled, the more likely it is to be amicable and painless. The Claims/Customer Experience team is here to assist you with his process as needed.
The 5-step claim process
- Once Buyer has reported the issue, our GearSource Support team will send the Buyer an email with instructions for completing the claim report. Seller will also be notified.
- Buyer will be asked to provide: -- the detailed written explanation of the issue -- the photos and video showing the damage or operational issues -- scan or photo of the delivery paperwork
- Once received, Claims/Customer Experience team will share with the Seller to see if the problem can be resolved with remote troubleshooting between Seller’s tech team and Buyer’s tech team. If yes, Claims/Customer Experience will connect Buyer’s team with Seller’s team.
- If troubleshooting doesn’t resolve the issue, Seller may provide part replacement, assuming Buyer is able to facilitate the repair or has access to a local technician.
- In the event that a replacement is agreed to, shipping costs will be determined by the Claims/Customer Experience team — generally costs are shared between the Buyer and Seller, with the Buyer paying to return the item and the Seller paying to ship the replacement.
Important information about returns/refunds:
First, it is important to note that GearSource does not own any of the gear being sold, we provide the Marketplace platform for Sellers' listings and transactions and collect a fee from the Seller for the services. Sellers accept payments on their orders using the GearSource Payments system, which is a PSP/Wallet system, that provides a hands-off level of security to Sellers. When payments are made by a Buyer on a Seller's listings, the funds are immediately distributed to the Seller's GearSource Payments Wallet for release as per their Tier Level Agreement. In some cases, deposits are paid and released to the Seller prior to shipping to hold or secure the item for the Buyer.
Refunds are issued as quickly as possible, however can take as long as 30-45 days after cancellations or returns are initiated. Refunds can only be issued once the Seller has received the return goods, in good condition, has approved the refund and has returned all pre-paid funds to their GearSource Payments account for release back to the Buyer. Buyer is responsible for additional restocking fees that may be charged by a Seller - all fees will be deducted from the refund prior to release. Refunds can only be issued via the same payment method as was received.
Buyers have the option to "immediately" apply their total or partial refund to their Account as a Credit towards future purchases. Account Credits can be used starting immediately and must be cleared within one (1) year of date of issue. Buyer can request a one year extension to the Account Credit by contacting [email protected] "before" the credit expires.
There are costs associated with processing orders and payments that the Marketplace and the Seller may assess when an order is cancelled or returned by the Buyer. If an order is cancelled before any payment has been made, there is no fee; if cancelled after order-processing and payment is complete but prior to shipping being booked, there will be a cancellation fee of 3.5% to cover the payment processing fees; if cancelled/returned after shipping has already been booked or is in-transit or is already delivered, the fee is 3.5% plus all return shipping costs and any restocking fees assessed by the Seller.
Other important details:
- If a Claim is related to malfunction or damage to the item itself, take pictures and/or video to explain the issues.
- NEVER make modifications to the item unless you intend to keep it or you were explicitly instructed to do so by the Seller’s Tech team. Once an item has been modified the warranty is void and the item is yours to keep.
- A repair estimate may be necessary so please be prepared to procure this.
- Once an agreement is reached, Buyer may be required to ship the item back to the Seller for repairs or before a refund can be completed. In most cases, the Seller will ship a repaired or replacement item back to the Buyer at Seller’s expense. Your GearSource Customer Experience (CX) team will keep you apprised of the details.
- If for any reason, you are unable to reach an agreement with the Seller, GearSource Conflict Resolution Team will mediate in order to reach resolution in accordance with the Company’s Terms and Conditions, policies and reasonable expectations of both sides.
- If the sale is completed through the GearSource Payments system, GearSource “may” approve a refund directly to the Buyer once it has been established that no other agreeable resolution can be reached with the Seller. The refund policy does still apply in this case. If the sale was handled outside the GearSource System, the GearSource Buyer GEARantee is not applicable.
- Anything outside of the 48-hour warranty window, or a situation that does not involve damage, GearSource will honor the Seller’s policies in relation to handling refunds or returns.
- As far as manufacturer warranties, that would be dependent on the Sellers and what they are offering with their specific listing.