How do I get started?
Make sure you’ll get paid!
The first step of your listing process is to set-up your GearSource Payments account by clicking on GearSource Payments from the Seller Dashboard in your Account Center. Note: you must do this from the same account your listings are associated with.
As a Seller on GearSource.com, this allows you to safely accept the most popular payment methods for your gear sales, from anywhere in the world, and to receive the payout funds directly into your bank account after the appropriate status and timeline has expired. This not only leads to higher sales because it is quick and simple, but it saves you money, it’s reliable and, most importantly, it is secure.
For more information go to GearSource Payments.
How do I create a good listing?
Price it right
- What is the listing price of similar equipment for sale now?
- How many others are currently listed?
- What is the condition of my gear vs. others for sale?
Using the above easy steps, you should be able to come up with a fair price that will get your gear sold quickly.
Good pictures are better than words
- Take more than one photo. You can attach numerous pictures to your listing – take as many as you can from different angles, include everything that will be included.
- Include a video showing the gear actually working.
- Make sure you remove all items (for example, cases) that you are not including as part of the listing price, to avoid any misunderstandings.
Describe your item as accurately as possible
Every piece of gear that’s been used has its own history. A detailed description helps buyers make a more informed decision and understand exactly what they will receive. Make sure to be clear about what IS included and what is NOT included, explain the condition, the age, the voltage, specifications, type of use (touring, rentals, installs, etc), and any defects – anything that could affect the value. (DO NOT USE THE MANUFACTURER DESCRIPTION.)
Remember, honesty is key. If you say something is black, and it arrives purple, it will likely be returned to you at your expense. The buyer is making a purchasing decision based on information you provide them. If the item is misrepresented, the buyer has the right to refuse the item at seller’s expense for full refund.
What Each Condition Means:
- B-Stock – manufacturer listed items that are essentially new, have been returned unused, or are older stock but still retain a manufacturer warranty.
- Excellent – items are almost entirely free from blemishes and other visual defects, are fully functional, have either not been used or has only been used a few times in a controlled environment.
- Very Good items may show a few slight marks or scratches but are fully functional and in overall great shape.
- Good Condition items function properly but may exhibit some wear and tear.
- Fair Condition gear should function but will show noticeable cosmetic damage or require minor repairs or replacement parts.
- Poor Condition gear may not work properly but could still function with minor repairs and replacement parts.
Manage your listings actively
If a seller no longer has the item available for sale – it might be out on a rental or you sold it to your buddy – it’s important to update the listings immediately. If a sale goes through on your listing and you no longer have it, you are still responsible for any fees associated with the transaction.
Check your pricing and quantities regularly. Used gear pricing changes – you want to make sure your listing is still competitive and in a reasonable range of other similar items.
Treat online interactions as if you were talking face-to-face with potential customers
You wouldn’t ignore a call from a potential customer or let them wait for hours in your warehouse — to make sure your items sell as quickly and painlessly as possible, it’s important that you respond to all inquires promptly and politely.
Is there a cost for me to list my gear?
No. Listings on GearSource.com® are completely FREE! Not only do we not charge you to list your gear for sale, we also spend a lot on marketing your item for free!
In the listing process, you will set the selling price for your item. When the item sells, the seller fee and the payment management fees are deducted at that time and the funds are moved into your account immediately. For information on seller fees, click GearSource Payments to review.
Is there a limit to the number of listings I can place?
No, absolutely not. We want to become your inventory partner and are here to help you anytime you have items to move. A seller can upload their entire inventory and then “manage” the items using our online tools! For larger inventories, we recommend you sign up for the GearSource® Listing API. What this does is link your existing inventory system to your GearSource® listings profile, allowing you push items to GearSource® by simply toggling an item in your system. It keeps your listings up-to-date and you can easily take them offline anytime you need to, such as when items are out on rental or no longer available.
If you would like more information on how GearSource® can help you manage your inventory here are the contacts:
- North America: +1-866-669-GEAR / [email protected]
- Europe: +44 20 3051 7715 / [email protected]
- Asia: +65 6600 0866 / [email protected]
What is the difference between an item listing and a stock item?
Our listings system is based on the backbone GearSource® “Stock Item Database”. It includes every piece of gear that anyone might offer for sale. Sellers add their Item Listings under that Stock item to make it easier for buyers to research and find what they are looking for. When you visit a stock item, you will see numerous listings under that Stock item with varying price ranges, conditions, etc… making for a unique and simple shopping experience.
What is a NeedZone Listing?
The NeedZone is a special area on GearSource.com® created specifically for buyers to identify items they are looking for do not see available on the site. Buyers can post a listing, similar to a “want ad” and wait for a seller to respond with items that may match your need. Sellers have access to view NeedZone requests within their account center at all times as well as receive updates through the NeedZone blast and on social media.
As a seller, it’s simple to respond to a buyer’s request – when you see a post for something you have sitting in your inventory, you simply click on that post and suggest one of your current listings or add a new listing to fulfill that request. This will send an automated response to the buyer and if they accept, it automatically creates an order on your listing.
What are my obligations as a seller to GearSource®?
Below is a shortened version of your obligation as a seller. It is not meant to replace our User Agreement , which is the legal document you sign before listing an item. Please review our complete User Agreement for all the details.
- You must own the equipment you are listing, free of any liens.
- You must warrant the condition on the equipment you are listing by selecting the appropriate condition and writing an appropriate item description.
- ALL listings on GearSource.com are required to provide a minimum 48 hour warranty, from time of delivery for inspection.
- It is the sellers obligation to resolve any issues the customer may have with the item as long as it is reported within the warranty period. The seller is responsible for the freight cost of returns, replacements, parts or repairs.
- Sellers are responsible for packing items properly for shipment. Palletizing is recommended as the safest method for ensure the least amount of potential freight damage. All large items packed in road-cases with wheels must be palletized to avoid freight damage.
- If you are selling large ticket items, photograph the items individually and after they are palletized, before they leave your warehouse.
- Freight claims are rare but they do happen. Ship your items fully insured. GearSource does not assume any financial obligation for freight claims but will work with you and the buyer to get any issues resolved.
- Once tracking confirms the item is delivered and the 48 hour inspection period expires, GearSource will release all payouts for withdrawal. For more information on the Payment Management system and Payouts, visit GearSource Payments.
Better exposure for your gear
GearSource.com® is the ONLY Global Marketplace for the sound, lighting, video and staging industry. GearSource® has Global reach with boots on the ground in North American, Europe, and Asia, and with expertise in the Middle East and South America.
If you have any questions, reach out to our Global GearHeads team anytime, either by clicking the Chat with us in the lower right hand corner or email [email protected].