Buyer payment process
How Do I Buy an Item on GearSource.com®?
When you’re buying an item on GearSource.com®, you’re buying that item from an individual Seller who has listed their item for sale on our site. While GearSource works diligently to review the integrity and quality of the listings on our platform, GearSource is not the Seller of the item.
It’s essential to ask good questions and review all the details of the item, in terms of shipping and condition of the gear, before making your purchase. If unsure, feel free to request additional pictures and/or videos of the item until you feel comfortable moving forward.
When you’re ready to purchase the item, just click the “Add to Cart” button to get started! This will direct you to the checkout page, where you select your payment method. GearSource.com® accepts all major credit cards, ACH payments and wire transfers. For wire details, go to the Payments & Security page for more details. GearSource does not accept checks or payments over the phone.
Are state taxes applicable?
GearSource.com® is a Marketplace, therefore, the USA Marketplace Facilitator Tax laws do apply. Basically, GearSource is required to collect and remit taxes in the 34 US states where GearSource.com meets the current thresholds set by those states. Taxes are applied based on the destination address (where the item is shipping to). If GearSource does not meet the threshold in a state, no taxes are charged.
A Marketplace Facilitator is defined as an online marketplace that contracts with third party sellers to promote their sale of goods and services through the marketplace. Marketplace Facilitator legislation is a set of laws that shifts the sales tax collection and remittance obligations from a seller to the marketplace facilitator, which in this case is GearSource.
Click here for more details on the Marketplace Facilitator tax.
Note: GearSource is also required to collect applicable provincial, GST and/or harmonized sales taxes in Canada. These taxes are calculated and collected at time of order and remitted to the appropriate authority using Avatax. In the near future, GearSource will also be collecting and remitting VAT in Europe.
How quickly do I have to pay for my purchase?
Once your order is placed in the shopping cart, and/or your offer is accepted and a shipping quote has been provided for the order, you are expected to pay within 24-48 hours. It’s important to complete the payment quickly before the shipping quotes expire (depending on the carrier, this can be in as little as 3 business days). Additional shipping costs incurred due to delays in payment and/or incorrect destination or delivery information, are the sole responsibility of the buyer. If you are unwilling to cover such costs, the order will be cancelled.
As soon as payment has been made, the Seller is required to apply a tracking number to the order, at which point you will receive a notification with a link to track your shipment. This information is also visible on your Dashboard/Order page.
Upon receipt of the order, it is very important you inspect your delivery carefully for freight damage before signing for the item. If there is visible damage, please make sure you take pictures and document it in detail on the carrier’s paperwork. Retain a copy of the paperwork for yourself.
You have 48 hours to further inspect and test the item(s) and to report any operational issues to GearSource and to the seller. This is used equipment in most cases, therefore minor dings or scratches should not be considered a reason to not accept the gear. See our Return Policy for more information.
Seller Payment Process
How do I get paid?
GearSource.com has built a very secure payment platform that allows Buyers to pay securely and Sellers to be paid out more quickly and directly from within the platform. It is called GearSource Payments and our payment partner is Stripe.
Avoid payment delays… every Seller must Connect their Listings to their GearSource Payments account. As a Seller on GearSource.com, this allows you to safely accept the most popular payment methods for your gear sales, from anywhere in the world, and to receive funds directly into your bank account after the appropriate status thresholds and timelines have been met. This not only leads to higher sales because it is quick and simple, but it saves you money, it’s reliable and, most importantly, it is extremely secure.
Unfortunately, not every country in the world can receive payouts directly through GearSource Payments at this time, however, many new countries are activated each year so. Here are the countries currently supported:
How do I activate Payments/Payouts?
- Most important… you must start this process from your account that contains the listed items you are selling – this is what links your listings to the payments/payouts process
- Head to your Account Center/Seller Dashboard/GearSource Payments Page
- Click on OnBoard – it starts a 5 minute timer – click on it again and it will send a code to your phone (you may have to do this twice)
- Once you enter the code, you can proceed
- Complete the required contact information
- Enter your bank account details – double-check that the routing and account details are accurate
- Select Save Changes… and you are done!
Once you have set-up your GearSource Payments account, you can start listing gear for sale!
For step-by-step instructions on how to set-up your GearSource Payments account, click here >> GearSource Payments
How does it work?
When you receive an order on your item, you will be asked to provide a shipping quote. Please respond promptly to ensure the order moves quickly. The Buyer will accept it and move forward with paying for the order. Once payment is made, and the funds are cleared through the normal banking holds, you (the Seller) will be notified to prepare the item for shipping.
Payout terms and thresholds:
- Once an order has been paid by the Buyer, and the funds have cleared the normal banking holds, the Seller is notified to enter the valid tracking number to the order to indicate the item is cleared for shipping.
- A verifiable tracking number is a required threshold a Seller must meet to trigger a payout
- For your first transaction with GearSource, your payout will be released to you 5 days after the shipment is confirmed “delivered” to the Buyer
- After your first successful transaction, subsequent Payouts will be released to you 48 hours after the shipment is confirmed “delivered” to the Buyer.
Why the extra 48 hours, you ask?
GearSource requires all Sellers provide Buyers with a 48-hour (business hours) “warranty” inspection period on all listings upon delivery. As long as issues are reported within that time frame, it is expected that the Seller will support the buyer in resolving any issues in a reasonable and mutually agreeable manner as quickly as possible OR accept a return with a full refund.
How much do I receive?
You will receive whatever price you sold your item for less the fees associated with selling, the payment processing fee of 3% and any extra fees that might be related to your payout method (see the fee structure below). Payouts are automatically triggered when the appropriate thresholds have been met, meaning the item is confirmed delivered and the 48-hour warranty expires.
GearSource payouts are in the currency of your bank/account location. If your bank account is located in Canada, you will be paid out in Canadian dollars – if located in Germany, you will be paid in Euros.
- GearSource is not responsible for currency conversion fees or currency fluctuations.
- Should you choose not to connect to GearSource payments, Manual payouts are not processed until 5 business days after delivery to the buyer and there is an additional manual Payout fee of a minimum of $45 per transaction.
How will GearSource Payments affect my sales?
GearSource Payments allows buyers around the world to purchase and pay for your items quickly and securely, in their preferred local currency, without leaving our site. This makes it faster, simpler and safer for buyers and leads to more sales! Most buyers prefer having the convenience and ease of paying by credit/debit card or ACH and by using GearSource Payments, they receive the added security of Stripe Connect’s strong fraud protection services. (Sellers are paid out by direct deposit.) This may require currency conversions and there are fees associated with this.
Note: GearSource is not responsible for currency conversion fees or currency fluctuations.
How long does it take to receive my Payout?
As long as you are connected to GearSource Payments, once an order has met the required thresholds and triggers the release of the funds, payouts will take a maximum of 5 business days to appear in your bank account (it varies depending on the bank). North American sellers will generally see payouts within 1-3 business days – international sellers, it can be longer.
If a trigger falls on a weekend or holiday, the payout will be sent on the next business day.
Important Reminder: should you choose not to connect to GearSource Payments, Manual payouts are not processed until 5 business days after delivery to the buyer. In addition, there is an payout fee associated with Manual payouts.
What if I am a New Seller?
As a new seller, your first payout will be released 5 business days after the delivery of the item, according to the tracking information you’ve provided to GearSource. It may take your bank an additional 1-3 business days to process that deposit.
After your first successful sale, your payouts will be triggered 48 hours after the item has been delivered to the Buyer.
Note: It’s important to note that banks and Stripe do not trigger payouts on weekends. Also, payout times may vary based on existing feedback ratings, sales volume, Seller status, price of the item, and shipping destinations.
What is the fee structure?
Fees are only charged as a percentage of the total sale after it’s made – it doesn’t cost anything to list your item for sale or to connect to our secure GearSource Payments. Contact your Seller Program team for more details on the Seller Levels.
GearSource currently offers 3 Seller levels:
- Standard (Default) — the Standard level, which applies to 90% of our Sellers, is 10% of the total sale (excluding shipping, fees & taxes). This level applies to most sellers with GMS* up to $250,000 annually (calculated quarterly), and below the minimum level of order frequency, and the required minimum listings volume.
- High Volume — Volume level is 7% of the total sale (excluding shipping, fees & taxes). This level is offered to sellers who maintain fifty(50)+ active listings at all times, have GMS* sales above $250,000 (calculated quarterly) and four(4) or more completed orders per calendar year.
- MDR/SOR — MDR = Manufacturer/Dealer/Representative and SOR = Seller of Record. The fees for these accounts are generally 15% of the total sale (excluding shipping, fees & taxes). This level is specifically for sellers who can not sell direct or who are unable to manage either listings or orders themselves. This fee may change depending on the service required and the volume of listings needing management.
Level 1 and 2 must be able to monitor and manage their own listings and orders, including their own quoting and booking of shipping. All Sellers must have a GearSource payments account connected.
- Payment Processing Fee** — a 3% payment processing fee is charged for all orders, no matter what seller level. The payment processing fee, which is based on the total amount of the order, “including” the items, the service fees, shipping, and taxes. This fee covers address verification, fraud protection, credit card processing, transfer fees, payout fees and more. This amount is deducted from the seller’s payout amount. As long as the Seller has an active GearSource Payments account connected, no additional fees are charged. If Seller has not connected a GearSource Payments account, additional fees will apply***.
- GearSource Logistics Services — 5% will be added to existing fees, depending on location and services required. GearSource Logistics Services provides sellers with complete logistics services, both domestically and internationally, and can be added to any of the above levels.
Sellers can only be paid out in the currency of their bank location. Sellers can not be paid out to a US dollar account in a non-US based bank – this is a restriction of the Stripe system and is based on anti-money laundering laws. GearSource is not responsible for currency exchange fees, currency fluctuations or additional service charges related to incoming or outgoing wire transactions.
Opting-out of the GearSource Payments*** system requires approval from our Finance team. If approved, you will be required to agree to the terms of manual payments and provide the following information in order to receive a wire payout.
Please contact Finance for more information:
- For International wires:
- Currency of recipient’s account
- Account number or International Bank Account Number (IBAN) for select international wire transfers only
- Account Recipient’s name and complete address
- Recipient’s Bank name, address, country, routing code and account number (you may need to contact your financial institution to obtain the necessary SWIFT Code, National ID, IBAN, etc.)
- For International wires:
GearSource Seller Payments Q&A
- What if I don’t have a bank account set-up in my GearSource Payments account?
Your money will simply sit in your Payout Balance until you add a bank account.
- Is there any other way to get my money?
Not really… you can contact our Accounting department to discuss your concerns…we may be able to work with you. However, Sellers without a GearSource Payments account may incur a higher Seller fee, are subject to an additional Payout fee that is not covered by the existing Payment fees and will experience delayed payouts. Setting up the GearSource Payments account is recommended.
- What if a buyer wants to pay via PayPal?
Buyers are not currently able to pay via PayPal.
- How long will it take after I sell something, to get my money in my bank account?
As long as you have your GearSource Payments account connected, payouts take anywhere from 1-5 business days to appear in your bank account after the incoming funds have cleared and the order has met the threshold for release on GearSource.com. North American sellers will see payouts, generally within 1-3 business days – international in generally 5-7 days.
- Can I use my payout balance to buy items on GearSource.com?
Unfortunately, no. You will have to be paid out and then you can place an order.
* GMS = Gross Merchandise Sales
** GearSource Payments is powered by Stripe, a global provider of payment processing software and application programming interfaces (APIs) for e-commerce marketplaces, such as GearSource.com, DoorDash, Booking.com, Instacart and MANY more.
*** If you choose not to connect your GearSource Payments account, all of your transactions requiring manual payout will be charged an additional Manual Payment service charge of “minimum” $45 per transaction. In addition, Sellers who refuse to connect to the GearSource Payments system should expect delays in their payout of up to 10 business days from delivery to the buyer. GearSource is not responsible for additional service charges, fees or currency fluctuations assessed by Stripe or by the recipient’s bank.