How Do I Buy an Item on GearSource.com®?
When you’re buying an item on GearSource.com®, you’re buying that item from an individual Seller who has listed their item for sale on our site. While GearSource works diligently to review the integrity and quality of the listings on our platform, GearSource is not the Seller of the item.
It’s essential to ask good questions and review all the details of the item, in terms of shipping and condition of the gear before making your purchase. Feel free to ask for more photos.
Once you’re ready to buy an item, without “making an offer” just click the “Add to Cart” button to get started! This will direct you to the checkout page, where you can Request a shipping quote or, if shipping is Flat Rate or included, complete your payment method. GearSource.com® accepts all major credit cards, ACH and more.
**GearSource does not accept checks or payments over the phone**
Why was I charged tax on my order?
Marketplace facilitator taxes came into effective in many states throughout the United States in 2019. As of September 2020, GearSource is required by law to calculate, collect and remit sales taxes on behalf of our sellers, on orders that are shipping into any states where the Marketplace Facilitator legislation is enacted and where GearSource meets the thresholds required. GearSource is currently registered to collect taxes in 32 states. Please go to our Marketplace Facilitator Tax page for more information.
If you qualify for tax exemption in your state, please forward your tax exemption certificate to [email protected] before placing your order. Please note: the certificate name and address must match the name and address on your account on GearSource.com.
On sales into Europe, GearSource is also required to calculate, collect and remit VAT taxes on any orders that are not considered tax exempt. All orders within the European Union are subject to VAT based on local rules. If you have a valid VAT number, please make sure you have registered the number with GearSource.
Canadian GST is currently calculated, collected and remitted for all orders shipping into Canada. PST (or HST if applicable) is currently calculated, collected and remitted for Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. Other provinces will be added as thresholds are met.
How Long Do I Have to Pay For My Purchase?
Once your order is placed in the shopping cart or your offer is accepted, and the shipping quote has been provided, payment is required within 72 hours. Once an order is placed on the item, the Seller is no longer able to sell it to someone else, therefore, it’s important to complete your payment quickly. Orders that are not paid within 72 hours may be cancelled.
As soon as payment has been made, the Seller is required to supply a tracking number to the order within 5 business days, at which point you’ll receive an email notification with a link to track your package.
How Do Offers Work on GearSource?
Just like at a “real” marketplace, you can make an offer on an item and try to win that item at a lower price than it’s listed for. If the “Make an Offer” button is not available on a listing, the seller is not accepting lower offers.
How to Make an Offer:
- Select the “Make an Offer” button on the listing
- Select your “Shipping to” location to ensure shipping rates are accurate
- Enter your offer amount
- Include a message to the seller if you would like
- Click “I agree to pay if my offer is accepted”
- Select “Submit Offer”
Please note that even if you have a pending offer with a seller, other GearSource users can still make offers or purchase that item at any time for the full listing price.
What Happens After an Offer is Submitted?
Sellers have 24 hours to accept, decline or counter your offer. If 24 hours pass without the seller or you responding, your offer will expire.
Are You Required to Make a Purchase if Your Offer is Accepted?
Yes, once your offer is accepted or you accept a seller’s counteroffer, you are obligated to that purchase. You will get an email notification as well as an “Unpaid Order” notification on our page and the item will be placed in your shopping cart awaiting payment.
Once your offer has been accepted, you must submit payment within 72 hours. It is important that you message the seller immediately with any delay on payment.
And If You Don’t Pay for Your Accepted Offer?
Abandoning an order after your offer may result in account suspension. On every order, costs are incurred by both GearSource and the Seller, therefore, only make an offer on an item if you fully intend on following through with the purchase.
Can an Offer be Cancelled?
If you made an offer in error, select the “Message Seller” button on the listing to provide the seller with some insight and ask that they decline the offer.
Once an offer is submitted, there is no way to cancel or retract it. Prior to making an offer, it’s always best to review the listing and Policies thoroughly to make sure you’re ready to purchase.
Does GearSource Offer Free Shipping?
GearSource is a marketplace of independent sellers, therefore, shipping rates and shipping options vary by seller. That being said, many sellers on the site do offer Free Shipping on certain items to certain zones.
How to find listings with Free Shipping:
- Head to GearSource.com
- Type an item you wish to purchase in the search bar and press enter
- On the left-hand side of the page click within the box on Free Shipping
- The search results will be filtered to show applicable listings.
Can I Pick Up My Order Locally?
You can message the seller about this option by clicking the “Message Seller” button on the item listing.
After you and the seller have agreed on the local pickup and you’ve picked up the item from them, you can then mark your item as received on your Purchases Page by clicking on the “Mark as Received” button underneath the item. This way, we can confirm that your order was completed and everything has been taken care of for you.
*Please note – Orders paid using financing will not be eligible for local pickup, as it voids the buyer protection*
Am I Protected if I Do Not Receive an Item or the Item I Receive is Not as Described?
All purchases are backed by our 48-hour Buyer Guarantee. If an item arrives inoperable or not as described (but not related to freight damage), you just need to contact the seller and GearSource within 48 hours of delivery, with documentation of the issue. We always recommend contacting the seller first, as the majority of issues are resolved quickly between buyer and seller.
If a purchase arrives in unexpected condition or not as described, please review and follow the steps in the GearSource Return Policy…
- Gather documentation (e.g. photos, video) of any issues once they are encountered and message the seller on GearSource with that information
- If the item is not working, do not attempt to make any modifications or repairs unless you are prepared to keep the item as is
- Request a refund by going to your Order Dashboard, finding the specific order and clicking on Request Refund
- Allow the seller 24-hours to respond to this request
- Once approved, ship the item back to the seller (unless a partial refund or other arrangements were discussed)
- Once the item is back in the seller’s possession, your refund should be initiated in 48 hours
If your order arrives damaged in shipping:
- Prior to signing for the package, take pictures or video of the packaging from all angles
- Document the damage on the Delivery paperwork, before you sign for it, and retain a copy of the paperwork.
- Hold on to any packaging materials and the box it arrived in
- In the case of internal damage to the equipment/packaging, once again, take pictures and videos showing the visible damage to the item and its surrounding packaging.
- Do not under any circumstances attempt to do any modifications or repairs to the item
- Submit this information to the Seller and GearSource using the Request Refund link on the specific order in your Order Dashboard
- In the case of any damage or loss during shipment, it is your responsibility to notify the Seller and GearSource Customer Service within 48 hours. If this is not done in time, you may be responsible for the damages.
- If the damage was caused by the freight carrier, the claim must be made directly with the carrier and may take a bit longer to resolve such claims. All shipments are also protected by freight insurance.
- Once an agreement is reached and approved, you will be required to ship the item back to the seller “before” repairs or refunds are completed. If the return is due to operational issues, the Sellers will provide a return shipping label.
- If the seller remains unresponsive to your messages and refund requests after 48 hours, you can open up a support ticket with our Conflict Resolution team to step in and assist!
- Anything outside of that 48 hour window, or a situation that is not damaged/not as described, we would then honor the seller’s individual policies.
Did you purchase an item and it didn’t ship out?
GearSource allows the seller 5 business days to get items shipped out and provide tracking numbers. If it is past the 5 business days, we would recommend contacting the seller for a status update. In the event the seller remains unresponsive, you can contact our Conflict Resolution team to assist.
If you have any questions not answered here, please reach out to our GearHeads by clicking the Chat button on the bottom right of any page and they will assist you.
Note: Site edits are in progress and some functions may not be currently active.